Sunday, September 13, 2009

Differentiated Instruction

I have had some exposure to this concept. However, in my training we developed lessons that targeted a specific learner, such as the hands on learner or the visual learner. As I read the posted article, the concept was more complex that what I had learned. I do see the advantage of incorporating differentiation into a single lesson -- as it reaches out to the whole class, not just a single group of individuals. I also see that this concept could make lesson planning rather tedious and complex. I would like more formal training on this one! I am also eager to see how you all incorporate it in you lessons.

4 comments:

  1. Kelley: I think that you hit on a key concept that it does make lesson planning tedious. I varied instruction for some of my slow readers, and the payoff was worthwhile. I too would like to see more "examples" of how this is done, because sometimes I feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think I would like more training on differentiation. I feel like it's just a term that you hear a lot of. I've had some experience with differentiation, but I want to learn more ways I can do it on a regular basis that's practical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice (and Kelly) - That's why I put differentiation on the schedule. It's hard to do, but really rewarding when it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that lesson planning is more complex when you try to meet the needs of individual learners. And it does take more time. I'm looking forward to our discussion in class this evening to see where Dr. Knorr and you folks weigh in on this one.

    ReplyDelete