Monday, September 21, 2009

Unlocking Potential in AA Students

After I read this article I felt that the ideas that Jackson suggested should be used in any classroom setting with any student. All Students need understanding, motivation, and confidence. These things are very important in order for quality learning to take place. I understand her perspective on connecting with the African American student and the importance of making a culturally different student feel no less important than his classmates. We all have encountered situations where we did not connect with someone (regardless of race or cultural differences). This is where we as educators need to realize when we may feel this way and work harder to make connections with those students who are needing motivation, understanding and confidence.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that we should try to be able to connect with all of our students, but statistics show time and time again that African American students fall short. I don't think Jackson would say we should forget about our other students, but that we need to more aware of those who may not fit the cultural "norm."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelley: I think that these are really good points. I especially like what you said about reaching students that need, "motivation, understanding, and confidence."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, I agree that cultural sensitivity in all areas of education are essential to an effective learning environment. I also believe that in this ever increasing global school population that we can use this diversity as an asset in engaging students where they are based on their own personal experiences.

    ReplyDelete